WHO DG backs Tokyo Olympic Games



The Director-General of the  World Health Organisation (WHO), Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus, has welcomed the start of the Olympic and Paralympic Games as a chance to spread hope to the world.

Speaking on Thursday in the Japanese capital, Tokyo, he said the world must unite with “determination, dedication and discipline” to triumph over the COVID-19 pandemic.

“More than any other event (the Olympic Games) have the power to the world together, to inspire, to what is possible,” Ghebreyesus, told the Olympic Committee.

In his speech posted on WHO website, the director-general warned that the world now in the early stages of another of infections and deaths.

He urged all countries to embark on a massive global push to vaccinate least 10 per cent of their populations September.

“Today, 75 per cent of vaccines have been administered in just 10 countries, he said, while in low income countries, only one per cent of have received least one dose,” he said.

The WHO chief said that the world’s failure to share vaccines, tests, and treatments, including oxygen, is fuelling “a two`

-track pandemic” between the haves who are opening up, and the have-nots who are locking down.

“This is not just a moral outrage; it’s also epidemiologically and economically self-defeating”, he said, warning that the longer the inequity persists, the slower the recovery will be.

More transmissions will lead to more potentially dangerous mutations, even greater than the devastating Delta variant, he cautioned.

“And the more variants, the higher the likelihood that one of them will evade vaccines and take us all back to square one,” signalled the WHO official, reiterating that “none of us is safe until all of us are”.

Ghebreyesus called the pandemic a test in which “the world is failing” and reminded that we are not in a race against each other, against the virus.

“In the time it takes me to make these remarks, more than 100 will lose their lives to COVID-19.

“And the time the Olympic flame is extinguished on the 8th of August, more than 100,000 more will perish,” he said.

COVID has already taken more than four million lives and the toll continues to rise as the number of deaths this year has already more than doubled last year’s total, according to the WHO chief.

“The people of the world are sick and tired; sick of the virus, the lives and livelihoods it has taken. The suffering it has caused, the restrictions and disruptions to their lives.

“The turmoil it has caused to economies and societies and the dark clouds it has cast over our futures”.

According to him, the time the Olympic flame is extinguished, more than 100,000 more people will perish.

“The COVID-19 pandemic has taught many painful important lessons, including that when health is risk, everything is risk.

“That’s why WHO’s top priority is universal health coverage”, he explained, sharing the vision of a world in which all people can access health where and when they need them, without facing financial hardship,’’he said.

When asked when the pandemic will , the UN official answers “when the world chooses to it”.

“We have the tools to prevent transmission and save lives. Our common goal must be to vaccinate 70 per cent of the population of every country by the middle of next year,” he said.

Meanwhile, WHO on Wednesday reported a 12 per cent increase in new globally last week, compared to the previous one, a total of 3.4 million new .

Since the start of the pandemic 19 months ago, there have been more than 190 million confirmed infections and more than 4,109,000 deaths. (NAN)