Tears, trauma as families, colleagues remember victims of 2011 UN House bombing



Amid tears, wreath-laying, and tales of trauma, survivors, families, and colleagues of the 23 victims of the 2011 House bombing, Thursday held a ceremony to celebrate their ‘fallen heroes’.

At an event held at the House in Abuja at the instance of the United Nations, families of the late staff could not hold back tears as they laid wraiths in remembrance of their family members.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that it was a heart-rending event as 10-year-old David Musa laid a wraith in remembrance of his late father Illya Musa.

David who was born in September 2011 as the last of six children, one month after the bombing, failed to fight back tears as he told NAN how difficult it had been to be born and raised without a father.

For David’s mother, Sarah Illya, she said that it was not easy when she was called and informed of the demise of her husband in the bombing.

Mrs Illya whose late husband worked with UNDP said that she fainted hearing the news and was almost delivered of baby David before his due day as she was out of consciousness for a while.

`To live without a father in a house is not easy, it is better to have a father figure – he was a very strong and hearty person who loved his children very well.

“Without him, to take care of all six of the children had not been easy,” she said.

She however said that she had been receiving monetary support from the a monthly basis.

For the Resident in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, who spoke after a minute silence in honour of the departed, he said that it had always been difficult to speak in honour of his late colleagues.

He said that he only derived strength in the promise that the now be cowed by violence but will always committed to service to humanity.

“I lack words to describe those who died in service to humanity.

“Somehow I have derived strength in the promise that we refuse to be cowed by violence, defiant against terror, and recommit ourselves to supporting the Nigerian people,” he said.

He recalled that it was 10 years ago when the suicide car bomb went off, killing 23 staff, guards and visitors while injuring more than 60 others.

“Our hearts bled, it was indeed a dark day for the United Nations. We will remember them forever as truly the best of humanity.

“We will continue to remember the families of the departed and I am so pleased that we are having this ceremony in the same building that was blown apart,” he said.

He commended the Federal Government of Nigeria as well as the administration of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) for the resilience demonstrated in rebuilding the House.

Minister of the FCT, represented by Zulaihu Ahmed, described the event as a sad one, stressing that the FCT administration not be intimidated in its quest to keep the city safe.

She said that a clear demonstration of the commitment was the rebuilding of the House now being used for the celebration of the 10-years anniversary since the bombing.

A survivor, Mr Chinedu Umeh, narrated an ordeal that he described as traumatic, having fallen from the second floor of the building along with the debris from the blast.

He said that after he was rescued from the rubbles, he spent over one year in the hospital before he could find his feet.

However, he recalled how he saw some of his colleagues who had just left his office the day of the bombing, lying dead in the rubbles.

“I am short of words; it still seems like a drama. It is quite traumatic trying to remember what happened that day. It is disheartening.

“The only thing I can remember is waking up in the debris and those who saw me said I was gone, but it was God who me back.

“I did not know I was going to survive, I saw dead bodies everywhere. It is a lot of trauma but to God be the glory I am a survivor,” he said.

He called the government to do more to solve the problem of insecurity in Nigeria. (NAN)