Police neutralise 9 suspected kidnappers during shootout in Lagos

0
197

The Police Command in Lagos State has neutralised nine kidnapping suspects during a gun battle in the Ladipo area of the state.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed this while addressing newsmen at the Police Command Headquarters in Ikeja.

He said that the command recorded a major breakthrough on Thursday.

Hundeyin said: “It is our delight to inform the residents of the state that the Police Command in Lagos State under the stewardship of CP Adegoke Fayoade, recorded a major breakthrough on Thursday, July 4.

National growth LS

“Our intelligence gathering assets yielded very credible and actionable intelligence about a dangerous and very notorious gang of kidnappers planning to kidnap some high-profile individuals in Lagos.

“Upon receipt of this intelligence about two weeks ago, CP Fayoade directed the Command’s Tactical Teams to commence work on it.”

He said that the police followed up closely, monitored dutifully and were able to determine that the gang was going to strike on Thursday in Ladipo.

“With the benefit of this information, we were able to proactively prepare for them and more or less laid an ambush for them.

“The kidnappers, who were caught unawares, would not give up easily as they engaged the police officers in a shoot-out.

“They, of course, bowed to the superior fire power of the police. Nine of them were neutralised while two escaped with gunshot injuries,” he said.

The PPRO said that four AK-47 rifles, four locally-made semiautomatic pistols, nine AK47 magazines, three walkie-talkies, one Point Of Sale machine and a loud speaker were recovered from the suspects.

He added that the police also recovered two operational vehicles: one black Toyota 4Runner and a blue Lexus RX350.

According to him, investigations are ongoing to arrest the fleeing suspects.

The image maker said that the command had been hunting for the suspects for the last eight months.

“It is worthy of note that the command has been on the trail of this gang for the past eight months for their numerous kidnapping of wealthy individuals in Isolo, Okota, Ejigbo and Ladipo areas of Lagos State.

“We are proud to declare that their reign of terror has effectively come to an end.

“This breakthrough is in addition to several other breakthroughs we have made in recent times in identifying and apprehending gangs of kidnappers and armed robbers while planning their crimes.

“Many of these were not made public so as to protect the identity of members of the public that made the information available, ” he said.

Hundeyin appealed to members of the public to report anybody with gunshot injuries.

“We urge everyone including medical practitioners to be on the lookout for anyone with gunshot injuries and promptly inform the nearest police station or call any of our emergency numbers if they come across any.

“We also use this medium to call on other well-meaning Lagosians not to hesitate in giving us information when they suspect anything amiss around them to enable us to act appropriately and swiftly.

“On our part, we promise to continue to prioritize the safety and security of citizens,” he said. (NAN) 

Follow Us On WhatsApp