Oil Marketer Arraigned for N8m fraud

Yaro EFCC suspectThe Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) today 14th February, 2014 arraigned one Aminu Ibrahim Yaro before Justice Mohammed Tukur Mu’azu of Kaduna State High Court on a 2-count charge that borders on criminal conspiracy and stealing.
The accused person who is a director of AYT Petroleum Limited is alleged to have converted the sum of N8, 000, 000 (Eight Million Naira ) he obtained under the pretext that he would lease a filling station located on Nnamdi Azikwe Way by Mando Roundabout, Kaduna to Royal Arms Petroleum Limited.

The complainant alleged that sometime in March 2012 the accused person approached him and offered a vacant filling station along Nnamdi Azikwe Way by Mando Roundabout to him on lease at the rate of N800, 000 (Eight Hundred Thousand Naira ) per annum for a period of 8 years. After paying the money, the complainant discovered that the same filling station had been leased to another company, First Oil Nigeria Limited. Against this background, he demanded for a refund of his money and the accused person undertook in writing to refund a total sum of N10, 000, 000 (Ten Million Naira) including the accrued interest but reneged on the promise.
One of the counts reads, “that you Aminu Ibrahim Yaro sometime in March, 2012 within the jurisdiction of the High Court of Kaduna State with intent to defraud did obtain the sum of N3, 000, 000 (Three Million Naira Only) from Ibrahim Umar under false pretence that you were leasing a filling station along SF8 Nnamdi Azikwe Way by Mando Round About which pretence you knew to be false and thereby committed an offence contrary to section 1(1)(a) of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act 2006 and punishable under section 1(3) of the same Act”.
The accused person pleaded not guilty to the charge when it was read to him.
Counsel to the prosecution, M.S Abubakar requested the court for a trial date in view of the plea of the accused. But defense counsel, Z. Oche prayed the court to admit his client to bail.
Justice Tukur adjourned the case to February 17, 2014 for ruling on bail application and ordered that the accused be remanded in prison custody.

No tags for this post.