The Nigerian military has confirmed dislodging Boko Haram terrorists from Maiduguri ,Borno State capital in the embattled north east of the country on Sunday. Defence Spokesman,Major General Chris Olukolade said in a statement “the terrorists attack on Maiduguri in the early hours of Sunday was quickly contained.”
“The terrorists incurred massive casualty. The situation is calm as mopping up operation in the affected area is ongoing”Olukolade said.
Newsdiaryonline had reported earlier in the day that the military had repelled the terrorist. The operation which chased away Boko Haram from Maiduguri was carried out by the military in concert with the civilian JTF,military sources told Newsdiaryonline.
Olukolade revealed that the military also carried out more actions in the north east Friday nigh. According to the Defence Spokesman, “The terrorists who in their disarray strayed towards Bama, Ngom, Alou, Delwa and Mafa in the night have now been effectively contained. Mopping up operation is ongoing.
“Several weapons, arms and ammunition including two armoured vehicles and two artillery guns as well as 17 Hilux vehicles have been captured from them. Several terrorists also died.
“The affected locations have been secured and soldiers wounded are being treated. Patrols and pursuit of fleeing terrorists is continuing in coordination with allied forces.”
According to Olukolade “The ongoing operations (are) in coordination with activities in the Multinational Joint Task. The terrorists are meant to be engaged in all fronts including their previous safe havens and hide outs in the region.
“It is in line with the arrangement for a comprehensive and coordinated military operation with inputs by military forces in the Lake Chad Basin Commission namely Nigeria, Chad, Niger, and Cameroon.”