At least 21 people were killed during the gun battle with security forces at the Heaquarters of the State Security Service,SSS Headquarters in Abuja.Spokesperson of the SSS Marilyn Ogar in her initial statement said the gun battle arose from attempted jailbreak.
Ogar in yet another statement on Sunday said “Following our earlier releases, it has been established that eighteen (18) casualties were recorded, while two (2) Service personnel sustained serious injuries. Three (3) other detainees who sustained gun shot injuries during the incident have also died.
“Meanwhile, investigation is still ongoing to ascertain the immediate and remote causes.
“Any other detail will be communicated.
Heavy gun battle broke out earlier in the day creating anxiety among Nigerians especially those resident in Abuja.
Presidential Spokesman ,Reuben Abati in his tweets earlier said the incident had nothing to do with Presidential Villa.He said President Jonathan was safe and well.
Observers believe many questions remain unanswered by the official accounts of the incident.Mallam Nasir el Rufai,former minister of FCT wrote on his facebook page ,”IN MY NEIGHBOURHOOD: Exchange of gunfire still going on with helicopter gunship hovering over the Aso Drive neighbourhood of Maitama adjoining the SSS Headquarters.Whatever this is, it appears more serious than an attempted jailbreak claimed by the SSS.May God Protect the innocent and destroy the murderers, kidnappers and planners of genocide, Amen.”