President Goodluck Jonathan has approved the establishment of a National Committee onFlood Relief and Rehabilitation to raise funds in support of Government’s efforts to provide urgent relief for victims of recent floods across the country.
The composition of the Committee is as follows:
- Alhaji Aliko Dangote – Co-Chairman
- Mr. Olisa Agbakoba – Co-Chairman
- Dr. Mike Adenuga Jnr. – Chief Fund Mobilizer
- Alhaji Karami Isiaku Rabiu – Member
- Alhaji Mohammed Indimi – Member
- Ngo Hannatu Cholum – Member
- Mrs. Folorunsho Alakija – Member
- Prof. Dora Akunyili – Member
- Mr. Tony Elumelu – Member
- Secretary-General, Nigerian Red Cross – Member
- Representative of C.A.N. – Member
- Representative of N.S.C.I.A. – Member
- Representative of the UNDP – Member
- Representative of the European Union – Member
- Representative of DFID – Member
- Representative of USAID – Member
- Perm. Sec., Fed. Ministry of Environment – Member
- Perm. Sec., Fed. Min. of Water Resources – Member
- Perm. Sec., Federal Ministry of Works – Member
- Perm. Sec., Federal Ministry of Agriculture – Member
- Perm. Sec. Federal Ministry of Health – Member
- Perm. Sec., Federal Ministry of Finance – Member
- Perm. Sec., Fed. Ministry of National Planning – Member
- Director-General, NEMA – Member
- Ag. Commissioner, National Commission for Refugees – Member
- Perm. Sec., Ecological Funds Office – Member
- Chairman, Senate Committee on Special Duties – Member
- Chairman, House Committee on Environment – Member
- Rep., Nigerian Union of Journalists – Member
- Rep., National Council of Women’s Societies – Member
- Mr. Tunde Lemo, (Representing the CBN) – Member
- Ms. Fatima Wali – Member
- Mr. Frank Nweke Jnr. – Member
- Senator Florence Ita-Giwa – Member
A statement by Reuben Abati, the presidential spokesman said the Committee has been given the mandate to raise funds to complement government’s resources for the provision of relief to flood victims across the country and the post-impact rehabilitation of affected persons and communities.
The Committee which is also expected to advise government on the judicious utilization of funds raised, has been authorized by President Jonathan to co-opt any other persons or organizations that it may find useful in carrying out its assignment.
The Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation will provide a secretariat for the Committee.It has been given one year to conclude its task.
The list of the committee members came shortly after the president addressed the nation on the flood.He classified the flood ravaged states into 4 categories A,B,C and D where each state in every category will receive N500m, N400m ,N300m and N250m respectively from the FG.Relief agencies will also be supported with funds, the president announced.No tags for this post.