FG not aware of $875m ammunition deal with US–Minister



The Federal Government says it is aware of any $875 million ammunition deal with the US which is being purportedly  blocked by some in that country.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, described the purported ammunition deal in some sections of the media as ” news.”

Speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on in Abuja, the minister said there was no contract of such nature and sum between Nigeria and the US

“There is no contract of arms between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the United States of America today apart from the 12 Tucano Attack Helicopters of which six had been delivered.

“We are quite satisfied with the progress and that we received from the government of the US on this issue.

“As a matter of fact, six of the Tucano helicopter will be launched on Aug. 3, this year.

“We are aware of the so called 875million USD arms contract or some helicopters which they said some in the US are trying to persuade the president of the US to

” The relationship between Nigeria and the US is smooth and waxing stronger,’’ he said.

The reports in some sections of the media had claimed that influential U.S. were masterminding a on a proposed sale of ammunition and attack helicopters to Nigeria over allegations of human rights abuses and anti-democratic actions of the present administration.

The report listed the blocked proposed sale to include 12 AH-1 Cobra attack helicopters accompanied by systems, 28 helicopter engines produced by GE Aviation and 14 military-grade aircraft navigation systems made by Honeywell. (NAN)