TWO-DAY DIALOGUE AND SENSITIZATION WITH STAKEHOLDERS ON THE PROMOTION OF MADE IN NIGERIA PRODUCTS BY CSOs’ COALITION FOR MADE IN NIGERIA PRODUCTS (CONMAP) IN COLLABORATION WITH FEDERAL MINISTRY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (FMST)
A two-day dialogue and sensitization with stakeholders on the promotion of Made in Nigeria Products by CSOs Coalition for Made in Nigeria Products (CONMAP) in collaboration with Federal Ministry of Science and Technology (FMST) was held on Thursday 29th and Friday 30th June 2017 at Edinan Hotel, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.
The event, facilitated by NGO Network, a national Not-for Profit entity, is a follow-up to the April 3rd – 7th, 2017 National Expo organized by the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, and held at Eagle Square Abuja.
The event was also attended by representatives from Akwa Ibom State Government, Ministerial Staff of the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology; other Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs); Non-State Actors (NSAs) from different organizations; representatives of the Private Sector from across the country; the Media, among others.
The event equally featured Presentations, Discussions, Exhibition, Road show, Visits, etc for the realization of the objectives of the Dialogue.
The highlights of the event include:-
- Brief on the Dialogue and Sensitization with stakeholders by Mrs Belema Wakama, Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, represented by Pharmacist Abayomi Oguntunde, Director of Bio-Resources Technology, Federal Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Unveiling the Made in Nigeria Online App by Mohammed Bougei Attah, National Coordinator, CSOs Coalition for Made in Nigeria Products.
- Leveraging on Digital Technology as Springboard for Made in Nigeria Revolution by Edward Esene, Google Digital Skills, Lagos.
- Plan of Actions and Strengthening Stakeholders on Step Down Advocacy by Lanre Adebayo, Director General, Centre for Applied Policy and Social Advocacy (CAPSA), Abuja
- Presentation of the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology –NGO Network Partnership by Mrs Yvonne Odu-Thomas, Mni, Legal Adviser, Federal Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Perspectives on the Promotion of Made in Nigeria Products as Governments Economic Recovery and Growth Plan by Udoh Ekpeyong, Honourable Commissioner, Ministry for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Akwa Ibom State.
(vii) Keynote Address and Declaration of the Dialogue Open by Chief Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu, Honourable Minister, Federal Ministry of Science and Technology represented by Mr. Ekanem .J. Udoh, FICCON, Director, Science and Technology Promotion, Federal Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Visit to exhibition sites by the Special Guests and Participants.
The objectives of the dialogue include;
- (i) To strengthen the relationship between Federal Ministry of Science and Technology (FMST) and Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) on the fight against unemployment and poverty in Nigeria through the promotion of Made in Nigeria products;
- To increase CSOs’ Voice on the effort on the Made in Nigeria Products at all levels of the society;
- To highlight the roles of the CSOs, the Governments and other Stakeholders on Step-Down Advocacy for Made in Nigeria products;
- To identify obstacles to patronage of Made in Nigeria Products with a view to proffering solutions;
- To complement Federal Government`s economic recovery and growth plan.
After successful deliberations on the subject matter by the participants, the following observations were made;
- That lack of patronage to Made in Nigeria Products is the root cause of the wide spread unemployment, poverty and economic crises in Nigeria;
- That the abundant human and material resources in Nigeria are grossly under tapped and under -utilized;
- That the obstacles to patronage of Made in Nigeria Products are enormous;
- That the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology is in the forefront of economic recovery and growth plan in Nigeria;
- That CSOs are vital in this fight against unemployment, poverty and economic crises through the promotion of Made in Nigeria Products
- That Akwa Ibom State government has been frank, frantic and consistent in promoting Made in Nigeria Products to enhance economic recovery and to pursue development for lasting democracy in Nigeria
- That in spite the laudable efforts to promote Made in Nigeria Products, Nigerians still spite the consumption of their products and services, even their institutions
- That there is no up to date data on the professionals and manufacturers of Made in Nigeria Products
- That there is need for massive nation-wide advocacy, campaign and awareness-creation on Made in Nigeria Products and their impacts on national development
- That there are undeniable roles of ICT/Exhibitions in the promotion and consumption of Made in Nigeria goods and services
. In view of the observations, participants resolved as follows;
(i) That the existing CSOs – FMST’s relationship should be strengthened for the continuous efforts and promotion of Made in Nigeria Products
(ii) That the citizens should be enlightened on the need to patronize Made in Nigeria Products
(iii) That producers, manufacturers and institutions should ensure quality control and standards to enhance patronage
(iv) That governments should strongly discourage the promotion and consumption of foreign goods and services
(v) That governments should create enabling environment for effective promotion, production and consumption of Made in Nigeria Products
(vi) That Federal Ministry of Science and Technology should be encouraged and their capacity further enhanced in their noble fight against unemployment and poverty through the promotion of consumption of Made in Nigeria Products
(vii) That CSOs and government should forge robust alliance to ensure the compilation of reliable data/directory on professionals, manufacturers and institutions, and their products/services
(viii) That CSOs and governments should carry out advocacy to the grassroots on the need to patronize Made in Nigeria Products for effective utilization of our human and material resources
(ix) That despite the enabling laws on importation of foreign goods, stakeholders should continue to embark on massive and aggressive campaign against importation of certain foreign goods
(x) That the government should leverage on digital technology and exhibition as spring board for the promotion and consumption of Made in Nigeria Products to revolutionize the economic recovery plan of the country
(i) The Federal Government of Nigeria was commended for her economic recovery and growth plans, which have strengthened and sustained democracy
(ii) Federal Ministry of Science and Technology (FMST) was commended for her modest achievements and for being proactive in the bid to promote Made in Nigeria Products
(iii) Akwa Ibom State Government was praised for providing dividends of democracy to the people and enabling environment for effective dialogue and sensitization of Stakeholders on the promotion of Made in Nigeria Products
(iv) Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) in Nigeria were commended for always being in the forefront in defence of public interest and promotion of good governance in Nigeria
The Dialogue ended with an applause to the Conveners and a call for continuous dialogue on the promotion of Made in Nigeria goods and services as well as implementation of the resolutions from the dialogue
COMMUNIQUE DRAFTING COMMITTEE
- Chief Casmiar Obialom (Chairman)
- Rachael Misan-Ruppee (Secretary)
- Ugwu Chigozie (Member)
- Ambassador Onoja (Member)
- Uchechi Opara (Member)
- Augustine Agbo (Member)