President Goodluck Jonathan has clarified the circumstances under which suspended Governor, Central Bank of Nigeria ,CBN ,Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi could be prosecuted.Speaking during the Presidential Media Chat Monday ,Jonathan said Sanusi can only be prosecuted if a clear case of fraud has been established against him.He said this while attempting to play down reports that the regime was pushing for the trial of Sanusi.The president said if no clear case of fraud is established ‘‘you may not necessarily prosecute’.
Jonathan revealed that his regime’s battle with Sanusi has been going on since last year over the 2012 audit of the apex bank.He recalled that he sent some queries on the issue .Curiously, he also said Sanusi remains the CBN governor because he has not been sacked.The CBN governor can only be sacked with the consent of the senate.After the ongoing investigations, Sanusi could still return to office, the president said.
Recall however that the president asked Sarah Alade to take over as acting governor,CBN.He also forwarded the name of Godwin Emefiele to the senate as his nominee for approval as the next CBN governor.He also nominated Adebayo Adelabu as deputy Governor CBN for the senate’s approval.
The president’s answers to questions on Sanusi clearly sent confusing signals about the regime’s intentions on the matter. Many have however reasoned the CBN boss was removed for blowing the whistle on the missing $20billion dollars.
The suspended CBN governor told CNBC Africa the day he was ousted that he may challenge the suspension .Sanusi made it clear he would not return to the office.He will challenge the ouster to protect the institution and to ensure the next CBN governor will be independent, he said.
President Jonathan also dismissed reports that his government was planning to appoint a military administrator to Borno state.He said ‘Goodluck Jonathan is not aware that the President is sending a military administrator to Borno State.’
The president again failed to declare whether he will or will not run in the 2015 presidential race.