Alaafin of Oyo’s Palace Razed By Fire-The Nation



Bode Durojaiye

A section in the palace of Alaafin of , Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III, was razed on Wednesday morning.

The dawn inferno, which was said to have started at about 6am destroyed properties worth millions of naira.

21 one rooms, including Ile-ifa and Ile-ori (historical sites), as well as residential apartments belonging to the Oloris ( king’s wives) were also affected.

The cause of the fire not be immediately ascertained, but the Zonal of State Fire Service, Mr. Munirudeen Olalekan Abidogun, who led a team of fire fighters to put out the fire, said his station promptly responded to a distress call it got at about 6.47am.

He said, “It took a lot of time before the fire be put out due to the architectural designs of the palace. The buildings within were linked.

“After the first water tanker was exhausted, we had to send for another water tanker from nearby office, before the fire be put out. It was indeed a serious fire incident.”

Relying on the information made available to him the monarch, Abidogun said “the inferno was caused electrical surge.”

Residents, including political office , have been paying sympathy visits to the palace.

Among the birds were the Chairman, State House Committee on Local Governments and Chieftaincy Matters, Mr. Femi Adelakun and his works counterpart, Mr. Waliu Adekunle. Source:The Nation


 

 

No tags for this post.